Saturday 4 August 2007

SLEEPING STATES 'THERE THE OPEN SPACES'

"Sleeping States is the result of one young man, Markland Starkie, working in a format he has sincere reservations about working in: “When I started Sleeping States I gave myself a set of rules becuase I had a real problem with singer/songwriters. I find the whole thing cheesy beyond belief.” Markland told Dazed and Confused. The rules he laid out for himself were simple: no strummed acoustic guitars and only basic instrumentation. The results, heard here on There The Open Spaces, are hypnotic and riveting. Markland’s voice floats atop modestly virtuosic noisy guitar work, seeking out the harmonies many vocalists avoid. Songs come to life before dissolving into quiet noise sections which still retain a melodic center."
Misra Records

01 Rain Check
02 Rivers
03 Planning My Escape
04 The Sleeping States, or Who Has Been Rocking My Dreamboat?
05 Come Closer to Me Now
06 Contact Lunacy
07 September, Maybe
08 I Wonder
09 The Next Step
10 The Times I Have Fallen for You
11 Memory Games
12 Life Vs. Love

Download

No comments: