Friday 17 August 2007

DIRTY PROJECTORS 'RISE ABOVE'

What I See (3:27)
No More (3:48)
Depression (2:48)
Six Pack (3:05)
Thirsty and Miserable (5:55)
Police Story (4:23)
Gimmie Gimmie Gimmie (4:50)
Spray Paint (The Walls) (3:38)
Room 13 (4:47)
Rise Above (5:03)

'From beginning to end, Dirty Projectors' new offering, Rise Above, is a reimagining of Black's Flag seminal 1981 record Damaged. It is not a covers record. Longstreth attempted to rewrite his favorite adolescent album word for word, from memory. From an interview with daytrotter.com:

"I didn't listen to the album or read the lyrics while I was doing it, and I hadn't heard the record since middle school, more or less. I relied on memory and intuition mostly. I wanted to see if I could make this album myself: not as plagiarism or mimicry, but as an original creative act. Writing a song is like pulling a shape out of the air, but I didn't want to write just any song -- I wanted to write a song that already existed. An album of them, actually." ' Dead Oceans

No comments: